My grandma in Japan makes delicious Japanese shiso juice. Shiso juice is a traditional Japanese juice for hot summers. When I visited her this summer, I asked her for the recipe. Here is the recipe. I hope you enjoy!
Ingredients (Concentrated juice)
- Red shiso: 250-300g
- Sugar: 0.7 – 1 kg
- Lemon: 1
- Water: 1.8lCitric acid: 35g
1. Wash red shiso leaves, and put in boiling water for about 15 minutes.
2. Strain the soup through a piece of cheesecloth.
3. Add sugar in the extract and boil it again in order to kill bacteria. The extract doesn’t look red at this point.
4. Cool it down until it reaches 80C, and then add citric acid and lemon juice. It will turn a nice bright red.
(To improve the shelf life, you can add the citric acid and lemon when you put sugar in step 3.)
5. Pour in a scalded (sterilized with hot water) glass container and store in the fridge.
- Dilute with water add ice.